A Dance With the Butterflies

This blog is an area for project participants to collaborate, share ideas, ask questions, etc.

Subscribe to this feed
You can subscribe to this feed by copying the link from the xml icon and pasting it in your favorite news reader. Susan's favorite is Bloglines.

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Journey South


Hi to all,
Hope the school year is going well.

Our class was participating in one of Marci McGowan's amazing Internet projects, Autumn Across America. We had been thinking about Autumn in Arlington, Massachusetts, our community, when something incredible happened!

One of my students counted over 280 monarch butterflies flying over our own Peirce School playground after school. In investigating their migration, I found a fabulous project through Journey North, entitled Symbolic Migration.

This beautiful butterfly is by Jamie and it's on its way to Mexico!! To see all the children's work go here: http://geocities.com/ljacoby_2000/monarchs.html and to view all our work for the project, see: http://geocities.com/ljacoby_2000/aaa.html. You'll find links to information on Symbolic Migration on this page, as well.

Best,
Lanise

4 Comments:

Blogger Susan Silverman said...

Lanise,
Thank you so much for sharing! I wish I could have been at your school to see that migration. I've seen several monarchs at the beach on Long Island.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Susan Silverman said...

Hope,
Yes, please add your photos to our group pool. Once you are in your Flickr account, upload your photos. Above each photo there will be some options. Select the send to group option. You can also select some of your photos and send them to this blog.
I may be going to Panama this January. My husband and I are considering La Loma.
http://www.thejunglelodge.com/
Have no fears because:
"We do not sell butterflies to the dried specimen market or for use at weddings or other events."
So, if we go I'll have plenty of photos to add to our Flickr group pool.
I'm so happy to see that even though our project is over, there's still activity on our blog!
I'm already thinking about spring. How does a ladybug project sound?

7:00 AM  
Blogger Ms. Jacoby said...

Hope,
HOW GREAT to have the ability to raise your own monarchs naturally! How GRAND for your kids and you!

It's also great that you were able to tag them (although I've always been a bit suspect of this procedure - I know scientists have been doing it for many years, but still I can't help but think it might inhibit their flight - just my thinking).

What fun that you did the Symbolic Migration!! Wouldn't it be such great to have each other's butterflies!
Hugs,
Lanise

6:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So interesting and funny article..
http://www.sandfordhighschool.com/

3:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home