A Dance With the Butterflies

This blog is an area for project participants to collaborate, share ideas, ask questions, etc.

Subscribe to this feed
You can subscribe to this feed by copying the link from the xml icon and pasting it in your favorite news reader. Susan's favorite is Bloglines.

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Options for Students and More

Hi to all,
As I've said to a couple of people, the devastation of caterpillars dying or dying in chrysalis has become a grave concern with this unit in recent years.

ALL the most popular companies from which to purchase larvae are "farmers" and with this has come too much inbreeding, and with this disease. I'm greatly concerned with what's happening in terms of the environment. There almost needs to be some guidelines that these companies should follow.

A word to all who are having some problems - it's NOT YOU, it's what the companies are doing. They aren't bad people, but they are clearly driven by the popular demand for these beautiful creatures!

On a totally different note...I worked hard to provide multiple product options for my kids. When I presented them this week, MOST of my kids wanted to do "traditional" offerings. I was shocked at first, but then thought - are they wanting to do what is comfortable??? On an up note, several asked if they could do something different, to which I said "YES!" Now I know I'll always be sure to incude an "Other" option on differentiated assignments.

I'll let you know how it goes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Norma said...

Lanise,
I am teaching 3rd grade this year and the response to this project has been amazing. They were excited to be able to choose how they were going to demonstrate what they have learned.

One girl in my class has sat quietly all year and occasionally raised her hand to answer a question. With this assignment, she has come up to me several times to ask questions about her project, to show me what she has learned, to find out how to get to my website (because she can't find it), etc. It has been amazing to me to see the interest she has shown. She is very artistic and she wants to make drawings. I can't wait to see what she will create!

I have definitely decided that this is the way to go.

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home